8.23.2008

here's to you scrappy


i've often been referred to as "scrappy."

it never occurred to me, until today, that my innate scrappiness is one of the more useful skills that i possess in my arsenal.

in my days of collegiate tennis, my fellow forehanders were described as "talented," "skilled," "a natural"...but me...i was always "scrappy." at the time, scrappy sounded like a total embarrassment. i so wanted to be one of the talented ones...but little did i know, my scrappy description was actually my secret weapon. my opponents boasted years of private lessons starting at the age of 2. their sweeping forehands were wicked. their service games, perfection. their volley form, unmatched. but you know what? there are many times when scrappy beats out perfection. the drive of scrappiness can take a person far when coupled with quick legs and semi-unpredictable inside outside forehand. i reminisce, because i realized today, that although my days are no longer filled with chasing my scholastic tennis dreams, they are filled with innovative scrappiness that goes un-noticed.

we often find ourselves in a tight spot. well, aren't we all these days? not for lack of effort.
my hubby works hard and i will never complain about him providing for us.

i'm personally convinced it's not the gas prices (europe has been paying $4/gal for quite some time).
it's not the food prices (the chinese spend 1/2...yes one HALF...of their yearly income on food). it's our own over-expenditure. our desire to have a bigger, better, newer this or that.
it's my own desire for these things that causes me to feel slighted when i'm still wearing the same winter jacket from 4 years ago.
my own selfishness that years for a new kitchen table with 6 chairs.
my own envious eyes that see something i want and subsequently feel bad that i don't have it.

there are times when we find ourselves budgeting, crunching the numbers, doubting that it will all work out this month...or next month...or the year after that.

well, i'm letting my scrappy flag fly.
i'm chopping bulk produce.
i'm buying clothes at flee markets.
i'm finding toy fire engines for 50 cents.
i'm buying a bushel of basil for $1
i'm sitting on a folding chair at the kitchen table.
i'm teaching my kids that christmas isn't about toys.
i'm done feeling sorry for myself.
i'm finished of wishing i had more.
i'm thinking of new ways to do the same old things.
i'm fingerpainting with foster in the grass when it's sunny.
i'm taking a nap and not feeling guilty.
i'm kissing my husband for no good reason other than a good reason.
i'm enjoying the pile of pine cones foster found.
i'm not going to care what people think anymore.
i'm determined to live today like i wish i lived yesterday.

even when we are no longer crunching numbers, i'm going to stay scrappy.
scrappy = happy
or something less cheesy.

so today. i solute all those with scrappy appendages and scrap-worn legacies.
hold on to it. be proud of it.
scrap on, my friend. scrap on.

4 comments:

  1. that's the ang i know!
    scrap on scrappy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I love you because you are scrappy! It inspires me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that you write about your scrappy tennis self when I was just telling Matt the other day about the first tennis match I went to and I cheered for you - LOUDLY! How inappropriate! I wonder which one of us is the scrappiest?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya ^_^ I visited your blog on the recommendation of Borrowed Breath :-) I quite enjoyed your post - it's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin