12.01.2008

font size equivalent = 5

Have you noticed the mail man doesn't bring exciting mail anymore? It's all supermarket ads, or credit card offers, or free mailing labels.

There is only one actual, real, handwritten, pen-and-ink letter I have received in my recent memory. It's from my husband. A man who loathes, nay, HATES writing.
It's just not his thing.
Give him a hammer, or a 4-wheeler, or an Xbox, but not a pen and paper.

My 5th anniversary gift this past August was the best gift I have ever received in my whole entire 30 (yikes) years.

Seriously, husbands, listen up. (if there are, in fact, any men reading this).

I nearly fell over when I opened a 4 (yes, count them) page letter. Not just any letter, mind you.
A love letter of encouragement...of life...of our lifetime of love.
Single spaced.
Font size equivalent = 5.
I tear up just thinking about it. It is the gift I will cherish always. If our house burns down, after saving my family, I will save the Bible my grandfather gave me, and this letter.

It was while I was reading this letter, tears streaming down my face, heart burning with anticipation for the next line of text, that I realized...no amount of sparkling diamond rings, emerald necklaces bedazzled with jewels, or flashy new Mercedes SUV's could bring me the joy that this letter brought to my heart, my soul, my inner most-being. For some reason, real words bring healing to my heart.

In an age of supermarket ads, credit card offers and endless emails, the pen and ink of the man most dear to me spoke to my heart and reminded me of what life is all about. It's the little things that matter. The day-to-day in-and-outs get us to and from the momentous moments of life.

I love the little things...or at least, I try to remember to love the little things in amongst the piles of dirty laundry, peas flying across the dinner table and a to-do-list that never seems to reach it's end. I hope we can all learn to love the things that don't require a credit card payment, because after all, at the end of it all, my 4 page letter will be part of a much longer legacy my hubby and I share together. And it didn't cost a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin