8.26.2009

take a gander

is it just me, or have the recent recession slogans reached an all time fever pitch?

have you noticed that companies are actually using "in times like these" phrases to try and lure us into purchasing more items?

i couldn't help but overhear a few slogan-filled commercials from amid the hum of my sewing machine this evening.
let's take a gander:

apparently, in times like these...
"...you need a wireless company you can count on."

"...you need to take advantage of the ford promise."

"...you need an insurance company who's been here for you all along."

ok, do i really need these things?
should i switch to a company because they paid for a commercial that makes them appear to understand my current state in these perillous times?
which, in my humble opinion, are only perillious if we look at them that way.

our family is, in fact, among the many whos real estate ventures have us in the "learning expirience" category as we chalk up our looming losses to life lessons learned.

but, today i had a revelation.
as i chatted about life with my dad over cheesy egg-bagel sandwiches, he enlightened my mind to remember that our faith in Christ isn't something to take lightly, it is to be taken in action. if i sit back and worry my days away, too afraid to lay aside my fear and move forward, can i really say that i am using my faith?
or is my faith laid to rest on my laurels as i sit comfortably on the sofa, sipping a fresh cup of iced coffee, making lists of all the reasons i should keep sitting and sipping.

i beg myself to realize that my laurels aren't going anywhere.
and neither am i if i don't decide to use the faith God has been growing.

whether it's showing some extra kindness to the gentleman bagging my groceries, or putting our house up for sale, faith can be applied in so many areas.
the faith that God is protecting us.
the faith that we are doing the right thing.
the faith that i serve a God who will pull me out of a slump if i'm not doing the right thing.
it's all there.
i just need to activate it.


take a gander. what do you think?


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I think that people forget about what God has done and what He continues to do. He is our provider and He will always take care of His children.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already sick of those commercials. It's true, we've just gotta keep our head up and realize all the blessings we have. HE is our source.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin